For those who have never created a syllabus before the structure of this 9-step plan might be helpful. The points move from general to specific. The 9 steps are explained in detail in other posts in this blog.
1. Learn about the curriculum holistically.
2. Determine the learning outcomes for the course as it supports the course’s role in the curriculum.
3. Develop a list of competencies that will support each desired outcome.
4. List the skills necessary to achieve each individual competency.
5. Prioritize the competencies for each learning outcome.
6. Devise assignments/projects for the class.
7. Devise in-class activities and homework activities to support the projects.
8. Create a course description.
9. Create a calendar for the course.
10. Tweak the resulting plan!